How to Build an Affordable Desk on Your Own
The DIY project has some satisfying things, you can use your own hands to create what you need. You are free to create what you want, how you want, and the result is that you have your own mark. Building your own office desk can of course provide the same level of satisfaction.
Plan Your Office Desk
If you take the time to create your own office desk, you need to make sure it’s comfortable because that is the benefit you could earn from DIY Project. Most desks are about 30 inches tall, which is perfect for the average person. However, if you are a bit bigger or a bit smaller, it may not work properly.
When sitting on your desk, your arms should lie comfortably on the surface when bent at 90 degrees. Your shoulders should not be bent and your arms should not be tilted.
So if you are planning your own desk, sit in the chair you want to use and take steps to determine the height relative to your body. You also need to measure the width of the chair to make sure the stand is large enough to fit easily under the table. This may mean adding or subtracting from any plans you use.
Gather Tools and Supplies
These are the supplies you need to create your own desk. Tip: If you buy wood in a DIY Project store, they will crop it for you regardless of size.
- 4 vertical support feet. Choose one of the following two options:
– 2″ x 4″
– 2″ x 6″ (29″ high, or measured according to your custom height)
- 4 horizontal supports in the leg
– 2″ x 4″ (2′ long, or desk depth)
- 2 longer horizontal supports
– 1″ x 6″ x 2.5′
- 1 front support
– 2″ x 2″ x 2.5′
- 1 inch and a half plywood
– 2’x 3′ (or custom measurement)
- Drill and drill bits
- Multi-function screw, long enough to penetrate wood
- Wood glue
- 220 grain sandpaper
- Foam brush
- Latex paint
Once you have all the supplies, you can start building your desk.
How to Build the Base
- Vertical support is defined side by side.
- Use one of the horizontal brackets to secure the feet by placing one foot at each end of the bracket.
- Screw them together and reinforce them with wood glue.
- Place the second horizontal support between the vertical supports, approximately 4 inches from the end of the leg.
- Tighten and stick together. Support should look like a letter A.
- Place two longer horizontal support plates at the back of each bracket, one at the top of the bracket and the other at the bottom to secure the base in place.
- Secure the panel to the frame with screws and glue.
- Install the front upper bracket to the top front corner of the frame with screws and glue (sit on the side of the table closest to you).
- Let the glue dry.
How to Assemble the Top and the Base
- Put down your desk.
- Center the bottom and top by measuring and marking the position of the support.
- Secure the table top to the frame with screws and glue.
Finishing and Painting
- Polish your desktop and base so that all the wood is smooth.
- Use a soft cloth or vacuum cleaner to remove all dust. Do not wet the wood or use any product.
- Apply a primer and let it dry.
- Apply the painting.
- Let it dry.
- Apply a second layer if necessary.
Tip: If you don’t know if you need a background or gloss, start with the background. You can always cover it with gloss. Switching from gloss to matt is more difficult.
Unused objects and recycled wood are a good way to create something new from discarded things and it is highly recommended for most DIY Projects. For example, once you paint and add your own touch, the old doors on the two filing cabinets or bedside tables turn into a beautiful functional desk.
Dismantle the old table and get the good parts, then integrate these parts into your DIY project. This is the beauty of upgrade recycling: When you start looking at old things from a new perspective, the possibilities are endless.